Dr. Carlus Selvig was an important community leader in the early days of Harmony Minnesota. After graduating from the Univeristy of Minnesota Dental School in 1906, he chose to start his dental practice in Harmony. Dr. Selvig practiced dentistry for fifty years in Harmony before retiring in 1956.

Although dentistry was his profession, serving the community was also important to Dr. Selvig. He wanted to help make Harmony "the best little town in southern Minnesota". Dr. Selvig faithfully served the school board for thirty five years from 1910 to 1945 and received the honor as "Minnesota's most distinguished school board member". While serving on the school board, he was also elected as Harmony's mayor for nine years.

Dr. Selvig's 1910 home has been beautifully restored with new plumbing, electrical, heating system,and air conditioning. All the original woodwork, wood flooring, and beveled leaded glass remain as does the character and charm of the Selvig family Home. The home features four guestrooms, large living and dining areas, a comfortable enclosed porch, and a large yard for relaxation.

Carlus and Blanche Selvig had two daughters; Doris and Eleanor. Mrs. Selvig also graduated from the University of Minnesota with a major in music and education; she taught piano to many Harmony area residents. Eleanor has written a lovely family history that is on display at the house. We feel very fortunate to have met both daughters and learn more about the Selvig family history.


|Home Page| |View the House| |Things to Do| |Rates & Polices|


140 Center St. East
Harmony, MN 55939
507-886-2200
E-mail to: selvigbb@harmonytel.net